Saturday, April 28, 2007

Fireworks Like No Other


Action on the night of the World Cup Cricket finals between Australia and Sri Lanka: Brass bands playing the baila on the streets... Supporters waving flags from car windows... Quite a festive atmosphere and I was loving it..!

Rain delayed the start; so, I went to sleep. I was woken up during the early hours of the morning and – from my bedroom window - saw fireworks, due North. I soon figured out that those were tracer bullets, i.e. anti-aircraft fire, and assumed that that was how the Sri Lankan Army celebrates victory.

Only later did I realise that M/s Gilchrist, Duckworth & Lewis had done Sri Lanka in… and that LTTE aircraft had dropped bombs on the outskirts of Colombo. Never a dull moment, huh?

The Tourist Board describes Sri Lanka as ‘a land like no other’. Tell me about it!

No comments: