Friday, November 9, 2007

Taking Stock of My Life

Over the past nineteen months since I left my home In Bangalore, I have learned the meaning of words like ‘hope’. And ‘frustration’.

I revived a hobby – journalism - and have even made significant progress on writing a book.

Rather late in life, my family learned to truly appreciate all the blessings that we had hitherto taken for granted. Along the way, we also learned some important lessons about life and values. We have become stronger - mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

We have survived the ordeal thus far... This would probably not have been possible without the steadfast support of Titan’s senior management. And we are immensely grateful to them for propping us up when they could have turned away... Through this experience, I discovered that God exists and that he works through people.

But this state of uncertainty could not continue indefinitely…

I needed to explore opportunities beyond Titan, even beyond India. That was a major step, but – with no alternative in sight - one that had to be taken. Accordingly, I arrived in Dubai during September 2007 to explore opportunities there, but got the timing wrong: it was the holy month of Ramadan, when companies work shorter hours.

I am back in Colombo after having spent a good five weeks in Dubai, looking at alternate career options. Of the jobs on offer, I have zeroed in on one with Voltas… as ‘Manager – Finance’ with their International Operations Business Group. The compensation package itself is nothing great, but at least it’s a bird in the hand. The silver lining is that I would continue to be employed by the TATA Group... with the prospect of returning home to India at some later date (after the bureaucrats in Delhi get their act together).

Let’s see what happens… I have not yet resigned from Titan and I certainly hope that the India visa comes through first… But from present indications, I expect to be moving to Dubai during the next fortnight.

2 comments:

Lady divine said...

Wish you all the very best in whatever you decide to do..:-)

Antony said...

Thanks, LD - I sure appreciate it...

Keep posting! Your posts make for some great reading...