Sunday, November 25, 2007

On Horns of Bullish Dilemma

I visited Bahrain earlier this week for a round of interviews with a small (US$ 16 million) company called Al Zain Trading Co WLL. I have been short-listed and am expecting them to make me an offer over the next couple of days. I am very excited about this assignment because I see potential in the company that I can help unleash.

The designation would be Group Financial Controller and I didn’t hear a gulp when I quoted my price over the phone. In fact, they went ahead and booked my tickets after that (Emirates via Dubai while going, SriLankan direct while returning).

If I accept their offer, my predecessor will be asked to resign. Yes, the company follows a hire-and-fire kind of policy and I am aware that it could happen to me sometime. But I think I can live up to the expectations of the Managing Director.

Bahrain seems to be a better place to live in than Dubai, with greater savings potential thrown in for good measure… The only negative factors would be:
1. That I would have to say ‘Bye-bye’ to the TATAs and give up that employment-till-you retire safety net.
2. That it would be unfair to Titan after they have been so kind to me… even though they will take their pound of flesh from my final settlement.

Therefore, I am grappling with my conscience and my sense of security on this decision. What do you think?